Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing to l

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing to list
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:49:11 -0400

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 06:43:11PM -0500, John Meinel wrote:
> Actually, the bigger problem I have is that the list puts itself in 'To'
> but not From, so a plain Reply only replies to the person. I'm not sure
> why, the other mailing lists I'm on put themselves as the Reply-To:
> What I would like to see is the list set Reply-To, then just plain reply
> is reply-list.

This has been the subject of multiple flame wars on g-a-u (and many other
lists I'm on).  To summarize: it's utterly the wrong thing to do.  That many
other lists do it stems from the cluelessness of their administrators; as you
may have noticed, there are many clueless people around.

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.