gnu-arch-users

Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "reply all" etiquette: reply-all vs. reply'ing to list
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:38:02 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
>> Btw, I'm using slrn, not a mailer. As far as I'm aware, there's no way
>> to automatically set this header.
>
> Via what gateway?  If it's Gmane, the FAQ says:

A local news to mail gateway at news.linuxguru.net. It predates gmame,
and uses mail2news, which is an incredibly stupid program. For example,
its not even smart enough to add headers, which drives me crazy, because
I'd love to force a reply-to to the list.

>    If you wish to redirect replies to your messages back to the mailing
>    list, add a Mail-Copies-To: never header to your messages. That will
>    result in a Mail-Followup-To header being generated by Gmane. These
>    headers are heeded by quite a few mail readers.

Ok. I've set them both. Lets see if that works. Ohhh, I hope so. ;)

>    Almost certainly slrn allows you to add a static header to outgoing
>    replies like "Mail-Copies-To: never" (or even has a special configure
>    option just for that, as it's a newsy-sort of thing).
>
> BTW, it also says:
>
>    If you add a Reply-To header to your messages that points to a
>    mailing list, the message will be silently dropped.

Thats particularly appealing, though I handle several lists this way.
Maybe with more research I could automatically set