Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Getting back on the road"

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Getting back on the road"
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 03:06:26 -0400

>> I've intentionally configured meld incorrectly. That way, tabs show up
>> like a sore thumb. :)

Miles Bader:
> So don't do that.  Problem solved.

I do that so that more tabs don't make it in. :)

> Tabs are an occasional (but minor) irritation to be sure, but as I and
> others have been telling you, the big-whitespace-patch approach is a
> problematic way to deal with them.

Actually, it looks like the whitespace patches aren't causing any
conflicts.

I've taken 10 patches since then, and there haven't been any. Branches
that up to date as of patch-21 (whitespace is 22) are showing almost
*NO* conflicts. There's an occasional rare conflict with some command
options, but as I mention below, I've offered to fix them.

For anybody this bothers, I've already offered to tag off of them
(provided they're current as of patch-21, which is the patch immediately
preceeding whitespace), and hand them back a branch in which the
whitespace merge is done.

> And now you've rephrased your desire for a big-whitespace-patch because
> it "makes the nifty merge tools I'm using much each easier to work with"
> -- but this is only because you've intentionally misconfigured them!
> Doesn't this strike you as being kind of misleading?

Nope. Just makes me a tab nazi.