gnu-arch-users

[Gnu-arch-users] Re: finding answers quickly

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: finding answers quickly
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:08:24 +0900

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:
>> Markup languages like docbook (and many other sgml derived languages)
>> are different -- they almost seem text hostile.  They give you powerful
>> tools for adding meaning to text, but often seem to obscure the actual
>> text in the process!  For automatically produced documents, or documents
>> with an extremely regular format, that might be fine, but it seems to
>> artificially emphasize minutia at the expense of the larger whole.
>
> This is 'normal' for publishing-grade stuff, which is one of the
> targets of docbook. Compare it to latex. It's intended for writing
> technical manuals, after all.

I've done a lot of "technical" writing in latex, and latex seems much
better in this respect -- and I don't even like latex (super powerful,
but world's most crufty macro language)!  Of course there's lot of
non-text stuff, but it usually doesn't overwhelm the text.

Also note that Texi is intended for writing technical manuals too, and
manages to be less annoying than docbook.

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train