[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] sync-tree should work like replay when patch-

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [BUG] sync-tree should work like replay when patch-level is specified
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:42:48 +0900

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:
> If I had my druthers, I'd call them "revision logs", (they're associated
> with revisions, not patches or changesets, per se) but that's even longer.

Good point; actually `revision log' also has a natural abbreviation:  revlog.

I'm generally a fan of this kind of of "pseudo-word"; it gives a nice
concise tag to use when talking about things, and naturally fits into
commands without wearing out your fingers.  Because it's somewhat
abstract sounding, you can avoid confusion stemming from other uses (an
example would be the use of "branch" and "version", which have a fairly
precise meaning in arch that mildy conflicts with common usage!).

Another example would be `cset' to stand for changeset -- I'm a pretty
good typist, but I _constantly_ mistype command names that use the term
changeset, it's just a little too long and hard to type.

What do other people think of this?  Would there be any practical
fallout from using the term `revision log' instead of `patch log' (with
`revlog' used in commands and other length-sensitive applications), or
is the latter term only used in documentation?  How about the commands
using the term `log' (cat-log etc)?

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin