Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:08:36 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 03:04:19PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Peter Conrad wrote:
>
> > you were mistaken when you wrote that paragraph. Although I got used to
> > them I still don't like them. They're still a PITA everytime I want to
> > edit {arch}/=tagging-method.
>
> Why?  What's hard about typing {a <TAB> =t <TAB> ?  Or does your
> editor of choice not do filename completion?

my shell of choice (bash) has a known problem with filenames starting with
=. So the {a <TAB> works fine but the following =t <TAB> doesn't.

Yes, I know - it's a bash problem. We've had that discussion before.
I still blame it on arch, because arch is the only software where I
regularly run into that problem, for no apparent reason.

> I can understand the +'s being annoying, though... but I think I'm
> used to them now.

I can live with the +'s since vi `tla make-log` started to work - anyway,
I rarely touch + files (and I use tla commit -L ... most of the time).

But the = are so completely, utterly pointless. They suck.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany