[Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:41:43 +0900

Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> writes:
> 0 = neutral, 1 = annoyance, 2 = potential trouble, 3 = serious
>
> FILETYPE  bash  tcsh  csh  cygwin  mingw  w32_native  OSX
> {files}    1     1     1     ?       ?        ?        ?
> +files     1     1     1     ?       ?        ?        ?
> =files     1     0     0     ?       ?        ?        ?
> ,files     0     3     2     ?       ?        ?        ?

Some comments:

  * "{arch}" is not a problem for bash (not even for completion -- bash
    completion puts in backslashes automatically)

  * "+file" is a problem for some applications (e.g., vi, more), so I'm
    not sure whether the point properly belongs under the shell names.

  * The tcsh/csh treatment of "{arch}" really deserves at least a "2",
    as it executes the command using the wrong filename

  * I forget, why is ",file" a problem with tcsh/csh???  Occurance
    within braces seems so rare as to be rarely significant...

A revised table might be:

FILETYPE  bash  tcsh  csh  vi/more  cygwin  mingw  w32_native  OSX
{files}    0     2     2     0       ?       ?        ?        ?
+files     0     0     0     1       ?       ?        ?        ?
=files     1     0     0     0       ?       ?        ?        ?
,files     0     3     2     0       ?       ?        ?        ?

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin