Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Barriers to Adoption: exponential userbase size inc

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Barriers to Adoption: exponential userbase size increases
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:53:10 +1000

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 02:51, Thomas Lord wrote:
>     > From: Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>
>
>     > > 1) Deferring to a tiny installed base instead of focusing on
>     > >    eliminating barriers to adoption
>
>     > I tend to agree.
>
> What if the opposite of "deferring to a tiny installed base" turns out
> to be equivalent to "screwing up the tool so badly that the benefit of
> adopting it is lost?"
>
> Anyway: Arch isn't deferring to any tiny installed base.  It's just
> sticking to what makes the most sense to me.  And it's installed base
> keeps growing, afaict, so I can't be *all* wrong.
>
> Some people run smack into arch as newbies, experience great
> frustration, then emerge as better unix users and better hackers
> generally.  One small part of that, when it happens, is a shift of
> perspective about the various issues that get discussed endlessly on
> this list.  So, what exactly is it I'm supposed to fix about this?

I agree nothing needs to be "fixed".

There may however be some benefit to greasing the learning curve
(eg. minimizing shell conflicts due to naming patterns).

Perhaps the argument "users become better unix users" outweighs
"more users sooner". Reminiscent of "freedom or the highway" vs.
"seduce the masses with utility".

And the consequent question: where on that curve to sit?

Does minimizing learning curves effect long term competance
in either direction?

cheers
zen