Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:17:14 +1000

>       1)  I can do things with find I can't do with inventory.  I don't
> understand how to use inventory, for that matter, and I shouldn't have
> to just because I'm using this particular system.  It's ridiculous to
> require people to change the way they development at that level just
> because {arch} matches * and contains a bunch of stuff that return
> stuff against my greps/tags/misc tools.

If the other discussions that have strongly suggested the user-visible
portions inside {arch} are being removed (tla 2.0?) with {arch} simply
becoming an arch system-level database, is there any reason it couldn't
be renamed .{arch} or similar?

>       2) Claiming a directory is off limits and the user shouldn't worry
> about it, and then naming it DO_NOT_ENTER is just silly.  There's a
> mechanism that exists in UNIX already for communicating to a user and
> his tools that a directory should be ignored.

Ahh .. I see you have the same idea.

I think it's just a historical artifact then at this point.
A changeable historical artifact.