[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: File naming conventions

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: File naming conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:05:26 +0200

* Dustin Sallings <address@hidden> [Oct 18, 2004 21:30]:
> > > Because if it's off-limits, it shouldn't be visible to the point
> > > of matching my globs when I'm trying to look through my source
> > > tree.

> > Precisely why you shouldn't be globbing from the shell when using
> > tla.  That's what 'tla inventory' is for,

> That's unreasonable and only answers half of the problem.

No it is not.  The whole point of the inventory is precisely this
problem.  Get used to using it.

> So I'll break it into two:

> 1)  I can do things with find I can't do with inventory.  I don't
> understand how to use inventory, for that matter, and I shouldn't have
> to just because I'm using this particular system.

This is, of course, a joke, no?  How can you dismiss something that you
don't know how to use as useless and stupid?

> It's ridiculous to require people to change the way they development
> at that level just because {arch} matches * and contains a bunch of
> stuff that return stuff against my greps/tags/misc tools.

That is your opinion and I'm sure others will agree.  However, tla has
been designed this way and it's kind of late to complain about stupid
commands and directories.  Get over it.

> 2) Claiming a directory is off limits and the user shouldn't worry
> about it, and then naming it DO_NOT_ENTER is just silly.  There's a
> mechanism that exists in UNIX already for communicating to a user and
> his tools that a directory should be ignored.

It is not named DO_NOT_ENTER and it never will be, albeit that's not
your point.  Anyway, it is named {arch} which certainly hints that this
directory is under tla control.  You may argue, with some success, that
it should be called .{arch} if users shouldn't be entering it, but it is
really only a matter of taste, not functionality.  It's like GNOME that
creates Desktop and Downloads and Public directories in $HOME.  Now
that's bad taste.  $HOME is off-limits for such stuff imo.  Yet the
world still revolves around the sun and in some twenty years Africa
won't have a very sizable population any more.  One can surely find more
satisfying and meaningful debates than what one directory should be
called,
        nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::