Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:06:36 +0900

    James>   1. To make sure that everyone was aware that there was a
    James> couple out of context sentences tucked away in the middle
    James> of a large document that said he was proposing that the
    James> license owner be changed. That way everyone is aware, and
    James> nobody gets a surprise and later sues.

Well, that's reasonable, if a bit paranoid IMO (I can't imagine Tom
stealing code, and I don't think it's anybody else's business if he
chooses to assign his own contributions to the FSF).  But I always
thought this was coming, once he signed up as a GNU project.

    James> What does arch gain for this?

1.  Licensing flexibility.  It doesn't matter whether it's the FSF,
but there does have to be a single controlling interest (owner or with
the right to sublicense), or you're stuck with whatever you've got now
forever (subject to being able to upgrade to "GPL v3 or later if that
seems appropriate).

2.  Backing of an entity with a known reliable commitment to legal
defense of the license, and a lawyer on retainer (however you say that
when you're talking about pro bono work).  Up 'til now, Tom's spirit
may have been willing, but if you can't pay for a phone to call a
lawyer, well, that puts a crimp in your legal style!

3.  No need to round up third parties to join the suit if the module
whose license was allegedly violated is contributed code.

4.  Because of 2 and 3, there may be psychological advantages in
dealing with the likes of Barry McLoy (who I don't think exists in the
SCM realm, but SCO proves such people do exist, and I could be wrong
in my assessment of certain personalities prominent in this field :-).

5.  Brownie points for supporting the FSF.

And of course if it makes Tom happy, that's nothing to sneeze at.