[Gnu-arch-users] community spirit

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] community spirit
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:36:41 -0800 (PST)

If the ubuntu crew were working with /anything at all/ that might be
called /community spirit/ then I would not have been surprised by
their recent public announcement of a fork of tla by Canonical.

Yet I was surprised.

One can conclude, therefore, that the ubuntu crew were not working
with /anything at all/ that might be called /community spirit/.

They did not make even the slightest attempt to alert me before
announcing a fork.  Whether they describe that fork as "friendly" or
not, the creation of the fork was not only not conducted in a friendly
manner, it was not conducted in a civil manner, given the way they
have presented it on the GNU Arch lists.

Now, let us examine some questions:

Q. Does Canonical's uncivil behavior mean that their project is
   without value to the community at large?

A. Obviously not, however, it would be reasonable to regard the
   Canonical project with a substantial skepticism because of the
   uncivil manner in which it was started.

Q. Should average user's cooperate with Canonical over a tla fork?

A. Only with extreme skepticism and, with the question in the back of
   their mind, "Why did Canonical choose to be so rude to Tom?"