Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Introducing a new version in my archive

From: Ricardo Catalinas Jimenez
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Introducing a new version in my archive
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:47:49 +0100

0n Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 01:47:38PM -0600, John Meinel wrote:
> I believe the steps to change into a new branch are:
>
> tla tag -S $oldversion $newversion
> tla sync-tree $newversion
> tla set-tree-version $newversion
>
> Some of the wrapper interfaces clean this up for you (aba branch-this).
> The reason is that set-tree-version just sets what the project tree
> thinks it is. tag actually creates a branch for you to be on, and
> sync-tree brings you up-to-date against that branch.
>
> The reason tla doesn't do all 3 steps is that there is another valid way
> of doing it (though I don't remember it), and the feeling was that tla
> should be building blocks, not necessarily all the glue as well.
>
> John
> =:->

I've been thinking about an smarter solution. Because in this way we
are using a tag to make the hello-world--mainline--0.2 to be an alias of
hello-world--mainline--0.1--patch-3 (for example).

The tla have the command 'commit' which prepare the next patch with
the modified code. I've been looking for a command which would make a
new version with the modified code. Does exists something like that?

I have to say that I'm a completely newbie with this kind of software
and this is the first revision control system that I use. So please be
patient. :-)

Bye.
--
Ricardo Catalinas Jimenez    Madrid, Spain.
th1nk3r(at)server01(dot)org  http://www.server01.org