Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:53:38 -0600

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 09:46 +0100, Lothar Märkle wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 04:07 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > I'd expect that using captchas would alter that substantially.
> Why not just add a captcha for editing a page? Still no registration is
> necessary, and captchas are accepted.

Good call!

Anyone know what language the Wiki is written in? Freshmeat lists Free
captcha generators written in PHP and Python:
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=captcha&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

(A captcha, btw, is a "Completely Automated Public Test to tell
Computers and Humans Apart"; the zero-cost webmail services started
using them as spambot-repellant quite some time ago, and it seems like
an appropriate thing for wikis to do as well).