[Gnu-arch-users] tla-short paths

From: John A Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tla-short paths
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:08:12 -0600

After the latest questions about the status of tla-cygwin, I decided to go back and look at Ron Parker's tree.

I found that he had a new branch called
devo.tla--short-path

I'm assuming that this is a branch which uses c/b/v style names instead of c/c--b/c--b--v style.

I saw that it was created 2004-07, and modified until 2004-08, and I was wondering what the current status was. I'm in the process of building it in the background, and I'll go ahead and test it (at least with a dummy archive first).

But I was wondering if it was completed, or what the current state of it was.

It does seem to be the last changes made to the address@hidden branch, but I might be missing some archive.

I believe it is branched off the old address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3--patch-28

Which I have no idea how this old branch falls in the grand hierarchy of things. At one point it was where development was going, but I'm pretty sure that things got moved all over the place after the 1.2.2 branch, and the new style of commit branches.

I'm a little interested in picking up dev on this, since I feel it would be nice to get something like this working.

I was able to build it, and I did see that I could init-tree --short-path, and even import it, and the checkout looked correct on another machine. However, when I did a 'get' later, I had lots of problems. First, my greedy revlib did not use short-paths and died. When I added --no-greedy-add it was able to build a pristine, but it didn't set the +short-path flag, and all the paths were again very long (it was able to do the checkout, but failed after that.)

I didn't see a flag for tla get --short-path, but it would seem that the basic framework exists, and it might just be a matter of extending it to more cases.

I don't know why development has stalled, though. So before I pick it up, it would be nice to know where and why it was left.

John
=:->