Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:19:59 -0600

Hi Stephen,

First I would like to say that I am very greatful for all the work done on arch and the amount of help I receive on this list for my problems.

I don't agree 100% with your comment though, what I was thinking is that arch has some consistency problems because it allows tla 1.2 write in 1.2.1 repositories even though in 1.2.1 files are no longer all considered binary and CR LF is modified on commit to LF. So tla 1.2 could corrupt in some ways tla 1.2.1 repositories. Maybe my understanding is wrong.

The CRLF / LF thing is purely a cygwin issue. In fact, Lode Leroy just posted that he has found some of the problems, and has (in theory) fixed them. Apparently diffutils changed, such that you need to supply --binary to get the appropriate behavior.

Another small problem that I noticed is that tla 1.2 can't access 1.2.1 archives completely, maybe it's the cygwin port only but I tried to get latest version of my repository which was made with 1.2.1 - using tla 1.2 it gave up after unpacking some patches. My opinion is that this isn't solid behaviour, either the repository should be 100% backwards compatible or it should use a somehow different format so older versions couldn't access it.

Well, there are a few things which older versions cannot handle, such as spaces in filenames, which newer versions can. However, the archive format itself did not change. So if you are not using spaces in filenames, you can actually freely mix versions of tla.

I used 1.2.1 for a long time. The reason I stopped was because I went to check out one of my trees after I had been working on it for a while, and the checkout failed. This was checking out with tla-cygwin-1.2.1 (tla mainstream also would fail.) After tracking down the problem, I switched back to 1.2.

Anyway I will switch to linux version of arch and give it another try, maybe all those problems I get are due to the cygwin port.

Thanks again for all the help,
Andrei

I can honestly say that the linux version is much more stable. Hopefully we will work out the cygwin version. I did go ahead and create a branch off of the current 1.3 mainline to do some work on shortening paths in a platform independent manner. (the current cygwin ports either rely on specific win32 behavior, or *really* munge the directories.)

P.S. : anyone knows what happend to the nice arch tutorial at http://www.gnuarch.org/tutorial/html/arch.html ? Seems it disappeared since yesterday ...

But also see Lode's latest comments about updating the cygwin binaries. They might be ready now.

It might just be that you need to download the latest binaries and see what you get.

There are also 2 other workarounds if you have a linux box available. They both have you run tla only on the linux box. Then you can get the files either with a samba share, or by rsyncing the files. (Or as was discussed, 'unison' is a better rsync for this type of work.)

John
=:->