Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: community spirit

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: community spirit
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:54:04 -0800 (PST)

    > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

    >     Thomas> Where does that leave such willfully ignorant execs in my
    >     Thomas> moral calculus?

    > Well, since you ask: it should leave them _outside_ of the _moral_
    > calculus.  Evaluating others is not moral behavior: moral evaluations
    > are first person, "I/we should/should not do ...".  Of course it is
    > often necessary to morally evaluate others' _behavior_, in order to
    > determine whether "you and me" can become "we" in the moral calculus.

Are you saying:

        Moral judgement are applicable to actions, behavior, and
        attitudes -- not to individual people.   Thus, you
        are wrong to place ignorant execs within your moral
        calculus.

?

That I would agree with.   I would have better said:

        Where does that leave such willfully ignorant
        /behavior on the part of/ so many key execs in my
        moral calculus?

A subtle but worthwhile improvement.  In terms of the "takeaway" from
this thread that an exec might make?  Well, that improvement might
save them a few minutes worth of a therapy session, but that's about
it.   To the (persumably large) extent the identify with their
behavior as execs: it /is/ important to emphasize that the behavior
can change while the person remains integrated.

But are you also saying:

        Moral judgements are important only for evaluating
        the possibility of an alliance.  ("whether ``you and me''
        can become ``we''.)

Many people on the right would disagree strongly and sharply with
that.  And me, here on the left, would side with them.