[Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive

From: Karl O. Pinc
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:14:31 -0600

Hi,

I'd like arch to be able to 'disappear' the last
commit(s) from the archive, for use when the commit is
just wrong.

Typically, I'll come across some minor bug in my tree
while in the middle of working on another problem.
I'll fix the bug and commit the change, but do something
wrong and accidently include portions of my larger problem
in the commit.  It'd be nice to be able to 'do over'.

Some may object that I should checkout another tree or
make a branch, but that's just not how work gets done.
Interrupting what I'm doing with a tree checkout to fix,
say, a spelling mistake is not realistic.  Nor is is realistic
to have every larger project be on it's own branch, which would
mean any time you sat down to work you'd start a branch.

For those who object that a versioning system should
be an inalterable record of all changes, I point out the
following:

Arch is designed so each developer can have his own tree,
why not be able to correct mistakes?  I'm not asking
to be able to remove any patches but the latest.  If
there's worry about concurrency in the case of shared
archives there could always be an option (in the
archive/category/branch?) to dis-allow uncommit operations.

If archive are supposed to be so permanent then why
does remove-log-version exist?  I'm asking for
the same functionality only on a smaller scale.

As a final argument, after a cursory glance at the archive
data struture it seems this would be trivial to impliment.

I'm new to arch and apologise if I've got something
wrong, or if this has already been extensively discussed.
I did a quick search of the mailing list archives and
didn't come up with anything, but it was difficult to
narrow the search.

Karl <address@hidden>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein