[Gnu-arch-users] Archives vs. categories vs. versions

From: Dimitrie O. Paun
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Archives vs. categories vs. versions
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:10:00 -0500

Hi folks,
I have recently stepped into the wonderful world of arch,
and am trying to put some order into all the new flexibility
that arch allows.

Namely, with arch working transparently across archives, it
is not that clear anymore where the boudaries for archives
should be.

Consider for example a large organization, like Mozilla. They
have many projects (let's assume 100s or even 1000s for the
sake of discussion), and many of their projects are rather large.

Currently, they have one big CVS repository with everything in
it. The same can be done with arch:
and inside we have:

But we know that big archives are a bit of a pain in arch, so
we break them (a bit arbitrary) by date:

However, why not break them by project:
and then inside have:
(any better suggestions?)

Or even, an arhive for each version:

But wait. In Firefox 1.7 we may have a new feature
for popup blocking. Why not create an archive for it:

Can one do this? Is it feasible? What are the pros/cons?
Any good examples of archive/category/branch organization
out there that scales well to _large_, very active projects?