[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Tagline tagging failings -- Was: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla mv gets me an

From: Karl O. Pinc
Subject: Tagline tagging failings -- Was: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla mv gets me an error next commit
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:53:12 -0600

On 2004.11.15 19:05 John A Meinel wrote:
Karl O. Pinc wrote:

Error calling `vu_stat' for "/home/kop/work/babase/./conversion/txtdir/foodcodes.txt" (No such file or directory)
PANIC: I/O error

What's the story here?  There should be no such file and arch should
know I've moved it, as it did the move.

I can't say exactly what's going on here, but you are doing the same thing that you are doing in the other post. A partial commit with a limit.

Uh, at the risk of sounding stupid, could I do a partial commit
without a limit?

Arch is starting to annoy me this way.  I do different fixes
in different parts of the tree and arch seems to want to
glom everything together into a big changeset when I want
to commit lots of little fixes as I get done with them.

Isn't there some way to tell arch to commit a part of my tree,
and as long as it sees everything that's 'moved from' also
appears in that part of my tree as 'moved to' then it goes ahead?
I did use 'tla mv' so it ought to have all the details.
Likewise with 'tla add'.  Obviously, this won't work with the
tagline id tagging method, but that's not a reason why
explicit taggers should have to put up with these restrictions.

Being able to do moves is a big step up from cvs, but
if anytime I move, or add, or delete I'd better be sure that
there are no other unrelated changes in my tree that's a
big intrusion into my work habits for a revision control
system to make.  Or else I get messy commits that wooge
a bunch of unrelated changes into my changesets.

There.  I'm done moaning.  I just hope that I'm moaning
in support of something rather than moaning in the wind.

As far as the other problem with "no such file or directory", I'm not sure what the problem is.

Is there actually a file:

Note, this is the actual file, not the inventory id. This type of error can occur when an inventory id exists, but there is no corresponding file.

There _was_ such a file, until I moved it with tla mv.  It's
id file moved along with it to it's parent directory.

It might also be possible that your precious regex is matching too much, and "foodcodes.txt" is being considered precious, but I doubt that.

Actually, foodcodes.txt _should_ be considered precious, when it's
in txtdir/.  Everything in there should be precious but the
necessary arch config files.

But I don't think that's it because I tried taking out the
.arch-inventory file in txtdir/ and that didn't help.

Karl <address@hidden>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]