Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Question] how to preserve multiple file's atomicit

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Question] how to preserve multiple file's atomicity ?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:56:19 +0100

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 17:59:04 +0900, Tez Kamihira wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:50:15 -0600, Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden> said:
> >
> > Are you asking for something beyond simple atomic commits which arch
> > already natively supports?
> >

> If I'm correct, arch, and any other SCM's transaction is essentially,
> "file appending". Such operation does not interfere any files that
> already exists. But the way I want is "multiple file's atomic modification".
> It's not the same.

Have a look at the File::Transaction::Atomic perl module on CPAN
(http://search.cpan.org/~ncleaton/File-Transaction-Atomic-1.00/).

The algorithm used there is sheer madness, but it works for the general
case (well, it requires that it does not matter when the files are
actualy symlinks, because symlinks need to be used in the process).
Simpler ones are possible for special cases.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>