Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Versus CVS Versus Subversoin

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch Versus CVS Versus Subversoin
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 02:03:33 +0000

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 02:53:54AM +0100, Andre Kuehne wrote:
> Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > >   There has been discussion of binary diffs a while back, but I don't
> > > remember quite what came out of it.
> >
> > Arch already has the only kind of binary diff that is possible.
>
> You consider "putting the original file and its replacement side by side"
> a binary diff?

It fulfills the requirement of storing enough data to have the
equivalent binary patch. So yes.

> > It would be possible to compress the changesets better but there is
> > little demand for this, to the point where nobody cares enough to do
> > it.
>
> This seems to be a popular statement when it comes to missing features,

That's because the set of things which people care about enough to
talk about on mailing lists, but not enough to implement, is a large
subset of the set of things which people care about enough to talk
about on mailing lists. Things in this set will also inevitably recur
(since they don't get implemented but people still want to talk about
them), so these things will be the *most* talked about on mailing
lists. Therefore the above will be the most common response to people
talking about missing features.

This is inevitable. It will always be true regardless of how much is
implemented, for any project.

> but you can say this about _everything_ not yet done, and it certainly
> doesn't give you a hint about demand.

You could say that, but it wouldn't be accurate. Only some things fall
into this class.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |