Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Arch Versus CVS Versus Subversoin

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Arch Versus CVS Versus Subversoin
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:31:38 +0000

Charles Duffy <address@hidden> writes:

> Which xdelta are you referring to?
>
> I get the impression you're referring to features specific to xdelta2. Is
> this correct?

I'm not (consciously) referring to any specific version.

I'm just saying (as Tom has, in the past) that one could build an
implementation of something very like a revision library by using
something like Subversion (which uses some version of xdelta (quite
probably one they wrote themselves) underneath).

That would offer fairly rapid retrieval of any version and would be
reasonably compact.  If you want text diffs, you then need to compute
them, so there are all sorts of tradeoff (maybe it would work to store
text diffs between versions as well, or maybe the cost just isn't
significant).

On the other hand, one could argue that if you're going to do that,
then why not just use svk.