[Gnu-arch-users] Applying changesets on non-Arch sources

From: Jade Rubick
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Applying changesets on non-Arch sources
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:26:37 -0800

I've recently switched to using Arch in my web development, and I'm very pleased with it overall. I'm just having one problem. I found this question on the Wiki as well, and as no one had answered it, I thought I'd ask here. I'll post the response to the Wiki.

I'm tracking a project that doesn't use Arch (using the recipe from the Wiki). It works well. I'm up to patch-7, and then realize I have some changes I want to contribute upstream to a project which is not using Arch.

So my patch-8 contains all the changes. I'd like to take that patch and submit it in a form that can be applied to non-Arch source code. Then I can commit it, send it to someone, etc..

I realize that Arch's changesets do a lot more than normal the normal patch command. I'd be even happy if I could apply an Arch changeset on non-Arch code. Is that possible?

Questions:

1. Is there a way I can take patch-8, and apply that on another machine, with tla installed, on non-Arch controlled source trees?

2. Is there a way to take that changeset and apply the changes to a non-Arch source tree, even if I don't get the renaming of files, etc... I'd love to just be able to patch -p0 < patch-file and have a reasonably close set of changes made to the source code.

3. If #1 or #2 is not possible, is it possible to get the output of tla changes --diffs in a diff format that I can pipe to a file. For example, here's what I'd like to do:

tla changes --diffs > patch-file
sftp myotherhost.com
> put patch-file
ssh myotherhost.com
patch -p0 < patch-file

The question on the Wiki is phrased this way:

How do I make it output the new files as diffs as well, so that I get something that contains the whole source of the changeset as diff to be read by a human directly or applied by a non-arch developer (needed for upstream contribution in non-arch project)?

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Jade Rubick