Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla archive-setup/init-tree/import

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla archive-setup/init-tree/import
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:26:31 -0500

In lists.arch.users, you wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
>>Why do we have init-tree and import?
>>
>>As in, from a user perspective, surely these could happen transparently,
>>behind the scenes, so that after archive-setup, simply do:
>>

> I think it makes sense to have tla commit do the work of tla import, but
> I would still want a tla init-tree. To me, 'tla get' says get something
> out of the repository, and fail if it doesn't exist. 'tla init-tree'
> (could be shortened to 'tla init'?) says I want to create a new entry.

In baz, we just removed archive-setup, make-(category|branch|version).
We also made -S implicit with import (i.e. import will create the
requested information when needed).

What I'd like to do is fold import into commit and remove yet another
command, but it was decided that midstream imports (import, commit,
commit, commit, import again) is a legitimate command. Personally, I
feel that was and continues to be a mistake.

So we can't quite do that, at least not at this point. But it still
leaves open the possibility for commit to call import if necessary. But
(there's always a but) there's a minor problem; the user isn't obligated
to specify a qvn (qualified version name) with init-tree.

So what about the following:

$ cp -a my_old_sources sources
$ cd sources
$ baz init-tree
$ [hack up =tagging-method]
$ baz commit -s"Initial source imports"

baz: A fully qualified version was not specified when init-tree was
run. Please run either "baz import [archive/]fully--qualified--version"
or "baz tree-version [archive/]fully--qualified--version; baz commit"
instead