Re: [Gnu-arch-users] failed inode signature validation...

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] failed inode signature validation...
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:03:14 -0500

Martin Rubey wrote:

...At home I have a slow modem connection, at work highspeed. Since Axiom
is large, changesets however not that much, I thought I'd copy the current tree
on a CD, bring it home, and continue using Arch at home then.

Of course, this doesn't work (see Subject...)

Any workarounds?

Delete your pristine trees. They'll be recreated automatically, when needed.

However, that's not really the right solution.

When Arch was being designed, Tom Lord was a dialup user, and so Arch works quite well with modems.

What you do is set up a local mirror of your work archive. Arch has commands for this built in. See "Creating Local Mirrors..." here:
http://regexps.srparish.net/www/tutorial/html/shared-and-public-archives.html

As you say, changesets are small, and since mirroring just copies changesets, it's quite feasible to do it on dialup.

Your local mirror will be readonly. To commit, you'll need a home archive, which you can mirror to work. star-merge should work nicely as a way to move changes between your work branch and your home branch.

You should also consider setting up revision libraries instead of using pristrines. They're faster to use and less of a hassle once set up. See here:

http://regexps.srparish.net/www/tutorial/html/revision-libraries.html

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley