Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Getting clueless win32 users working on a project i

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Getting clueless win32 users working on a project in arch
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:47:18 +1100

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:24:20 +0100
Johannes Berg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>
> >I have tried running the tla binary that was available, but that
> >didn't work due to the win32 path limit issue; "tla get" seemed
> >to work, but "tla changes --diffs" wouldn't.
> >
> Weird. What filesystem are you using?

Whatever is the default on winxp. This is a known problem. There's
a huge thread here:

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2003-11/msg00194.html

and there's a bunch of others since then.

> >Are there any other Arch options or do I need to run an SVN in
> >parallel?
> >

> There's cygwin work by John Meinel.

John's stuff is MinGW not Cygwin. This is actually what I tried last time
(3-4 months ago), but from talking to Rob Collins today, this problem
still exists. There is no easy solution which is why it hasn't been
fixed yet.

The problem is file paths like this:

{arch}/++pristine-trees/unlocked/libsndfile/libsndfile--mdev/libsndfile--mdev--1.0/address@hidden/libsndfile--mdev--1.0--patch-380/{arch}/libsndfile/libsndfile--devel/libsndfile--devel--1.0/address@hidden/patch-log/patch-1

under the {arch} directory. Paths of this length are not handled
correctly by windows of any flavour.

Yes, windows is fucked.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  address@hidden (Yes it's valid)
"It has been discovered that C++ provides a remarkable facility for
concealing the trival details of a program -- such as where its bugs
are." -- David Keppel