Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirroring concepts/practice help

From: Kevin Geiss
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirroring concepts/practice help
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:29:01 -0700

On Feb 3, 2005, at 9:11 AM, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

# Now if you want to register someone else's archive, and create a local
mirror of it
# This is called a pull mirror, since you pull the other archives
patches locally.
# This is designed so that changes, revisions, etc all look at the
mirror rather than
# the original. You still cannot commit to the mirror, though.

tla register-archive $real-SOURCE $realpath
tla make-archive --mirror-from $real-SOURCE $mirrorpath
# Now ~/.arch-params/=locations has $mirrorpath as the location for $real
tla archive-mirror $real

Basically tla archive-mirror looks at your local registry to figure out
whether it is push mirroring or pull mirroring. Since you are trying to
create a local mirror of a remote repository so that you can work
offline, you want a pull-mirror. So you need to do the second steps.

got it, thanks, that's exactly what I was wanting to do.

the 'tla make-archive -H' didn't quite penetrate into my brain. it uses '--mirror-from MASTER-SOURCE' in it's examples, and I didn't realize at first that the MASTER part was a separate variable from the '-SOURCE' part :)

thanks, I think this all makes sense now.