[Gnu-arch-users] Re: umask and permissions

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: umask and permissions
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:46:45 +0100

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:

> See "Using shared SFTP archives set g+ws without patching SSH"

I don't see how this is supposed to work.

g+ws will force the created subdirectories to belong to the specified
group, but it won't give it the +w bit.

$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 moy synchron 60 Feb  3 22:35 =meta-info/
$ ls -ld .
drwxrwsr-x  3 moy synchron 80 Feb  3 22:35 ./
$ tla make-category address@hidden/toto
$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 moy synchron 60 Feb  3 22:35 =meta-info/
drwxr-sr-x  2 moy synchron 40 Feb  3 22:35 toto/

(toto has +s, but not +w)

So, I guess any user will be able to create a new directory in a
directory existing at the time you did the chmod (typically, create a
new revision in an existing version), but scenario like the following
are forbidden :

A creates category foo
B creates the branch foo--bar
A creates the version foo--bar--0

> or "Using multiple accounts, a group, and a sftpd-wrapper without
> changing global configuration"

I suppose the sftpd-wrapper requires to be root, which is not allways
possible.

--
Matthieu