[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch performance with large trees

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch performance with large trees
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:20:06 +0000

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Note that tla-cvs-sync actually does _attempt_ to track renames, by
> looking at the contents of added and deleted files (the best match with
> under 10% of the text changed is considered a rename).  This usually
> works correctly on my trees, but I suppose linux is pretty wild and
> wooly sometimes...

I find this as a bit risky. It might work but many files are can be
duplicates from one architecture to other and the algorithm might
fail. Anyway, I haven't seen many renames so that they would be
annoying.

A useful thing would be multiple id's for a file since the community
is still merging patches using BitKeeper.

> Directly slurping the BK info of course seems a better approach
> though!

Without running BK, it is hard to get this information. Their website
seems to only show standard diff files, which don't have the rename
information.

Catalin