[Gnu-arch-users] Making --setup default in tag and import

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Making --setup default in tag and import
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:46:26 +0000

On 07 Feb 2005 10:16:38 -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

> But when it comes to maintaining archives, the arch design pretends
> that "archives are forever" and therefore should always be approached
> with extreme caution.   I would consider it only /slightly/ over the top,
> for example, if `commit' interactively queried the user forcing
> him to prove he'd at least pretended to review the changes being committed.
> (No, I have no intention of doing that.   Though only *slightly* over the
> top, it would still be *definately* over the top.)

I do not think there is a disagreement that "archives are forever".
However it would be beneficial if some archive operation could be undone.
I.e. "tag" and "import", and even the last "commit" may be undone in a
certain period of time (one hour or one day). The mirror process should
be trivially fixed to support this, i.e. revalidate the latest additions.

This would allow to make "--setup" the default for "tag" and "import".

Regards,
Mikhael.