Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Linux BKCVS to GNU Arch Script

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Linux BKCVS to GNU Arch Script
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:15:37 +0000

I forgot to attach the log to my previous e-mail but I don't think
you would still need it.

Paul Mundt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Now that I look at this more, it seems like there are a _lot_ of
> changesets that simply have no file modifications. While this in itself
> isn't a problem, there seem to be quite a few legitimate cases that are
> just dropped (this seems to have just been one isolated example).

It happens that many of the "merge ..." logs are empty since Torvalds
seems to do a merge from different BK trees every few days but BK
still commits an empty patch when there are no changes.

> Ok, I will probably just end up wiping my tree entirely and starting over
> with your updated script. This seems to be the least painful way of going
> for the moment, as I have no idea what the extent of the damage is
> presently.

You can do a diff against the current BKCVS repository and apply a
correction patch on top of the last changeset, it's easier than
re-creating the tree (especially if you branched from it).

I did a diff against the HEAD checkout of the BKCVS repository (as
rsync'ed in my local ,bkcvs-rsync dir) and there are no
differences. This can be explained in 3 ways: (1) I was incredibly
lucky (or you were very unlucky, see the next point), (2) BKCVS is
only updated once a day by BM and only once by me, but at a different
time (when BKCVS remains unchanged) or (3) the network speed could
make a difference by reducing the delay between the source rsync and
the ChangeSet,v one.

The most likely is (2) above, the lucky time being 5am GMT :-). This
won't last long since people proposed Larry to update it more than
once a day.

> If you are interersted in debugging this further, I can back up my tree
> somewhere for you to fetch, though I don't know how useful this will
> be.

No need to, thanks. The interesting part would have been the state of
the rsync'ed BKCVS repository when an empty patch problem occurred
but, unfortunately, you can only notice this later.

Catalin