Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Bashisms in tests

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Bashisms in tests
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:49:42 +0100

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:22:37AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:03:08PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > > Instead, why not just fix the problems as they're reported?
> >
> > I've mostly done this for Bazaar, and suspect that most of the changes
> > would replay cleanly onto a tla tree.
> >
> > address@hidden/bazaar--posix-sh--1.2
> >
> > Patches 1--10 make it work on Debian machines (where /bin/sh is dash)
>
> /bin/sh is bash on Debian machines. The only way it can be dash is if
> somebody goes out of their way to mangle it, and this will break a
> variety of things.

1) The dash package asks if it should divert /bin/sh to itself during
installation. It is suggested in dash package (in README.Debian) since
ages ago.

2) Debian policy requires scripts with #!/bin/sh to be in POSIX shell.
Whenever anything with #!/bin/sh does not work in dash, it is promptly
reported as a bug.

                                                - Jan Hudec `Bulb'
<address@hidden>