[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla working slower than cvs, how to speedup?

From: Anand Kumria
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Tla working slower than cvs, how to speedup?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:46:48 +1100

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:50:56 +0600, Alexander Litvinov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have large project managed by cvs. After playing with GNU Arch (tla) I
> made the decision to move it to tla. Stable versions of this project is
> tagged in cvs. To test how it will work I get first version and import it
> into tla (including CVS directories) using tla_load_dirs. Then I get
> second version and again import it into tla using tla_load_dirs. And so
> on. After these steps I get HEAD of cvs and load it again. to speedup
> future work I make cachedrev of latest tla revision. From this time after
> each cvs commit I update my version of project from cvs and import it into
> tla.
>
> Everything is working good except speed of tla operations. Pay attention:
> cvs repo is a remote repository accessed via ssh. Tla uses local archive.
> Some timeings are at the end of the mail.
>
> As a conclusion: tla work at least the same time as cvs does, but usualy 2
> times slower. It where way to speedup it ?

A revision-library is probably the simplest way.

Try this:

mkdir $HOME/arch/revision-library
tla my-revision-libaray ~/arch/revision-library
tla library-config --greey ~/arch/revision-library

Switch to your project, run 'tla changes' and then re-run your tests and
see if things have been sped-up.

Note, I just happen to store my revision-library in
~/arch/revision-library, you can store in any directory you like.

Cheers,
Anand

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux