[Gnu-arch-users] Source Code Managers Carnival

From: Deliverable Mail
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Source Code Managers Carnival
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:30:22 -0500

I have the following idea: to play with various SCMs and increase
redundnace of my project, I want to manage it with not one, not two,
but three SCMs _at once_!  Namely, BitKeeper, Darcs, and Arch.  Since
only BitKeeper creates a new directory, I do the first import in bk,
then tla init-tree and darcs init.  Then {bk,tla,darcs} add everything
in sight, and {bk,tla} commit/darcs record it.

The interesting thing is how to keep them in sync.  My vision is to be
able to work off any SCM at will, and after a respective commit, to be
able to push changes everywhere locally and remotely and/or pull and
pick up in any SCM anywhere.  E.g., I can keep separate directories,
one per SCM, on every box where I want to do it, and rsync files from
a common list.  (I'd have to unlock them in bk first; darcs and tla
win by being non-locking.)

The problem with a triple-drawer-chest, with
BitKeeper-SCCS/{arch}/_darcs in it, is that you can commit into all
three, but can push only by one -- or all and overwrite twice -- and
if just once, the other two will get out of sync.  So looks like I
have to have three separate directories after the initial import,
checking out into three different places in both local and remote.
Now, I still can use all of the SCM in each WC instead of rsync, to
pull only, but I have to figure out the exact process -- have anybody
tried such a carnival?  I can see a script to commit into all and pull
from all and sync all by one command...  And that would provide for
redundancy as well.  And some fun.

Cheers,
Alexy