Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Free space wasting when handling binary files

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Free space wasting when handling binary files
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:51:37 -0600

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 18:15 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> I don't know what the gzip window is, but the bzip2 window is 900k. (If
> we used bzip2 instead of gzip, the above holds true up until > 500k files).

Like you said elsewhere, we don't actually invoke gzip ourselves, we
simply pass the `-z' option to tar.  Since tla already requires GNU tar,
and GNU's tar supports the `--bzip2' option[1], perhaps someone
interested in nicely compressing binary files would like to write a
patch so tla supports using bzip2 compression?

[1] Only concern is how long this option has been supported.  Even
Debian Woody supports this with the `-j' flag, and my man page mentions
an older `-I' flag, so I'm led to believe this would be a relatively
safe move.

--
Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>