[Gnu-arch-users] arch with 'special files'

From: Josh England
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] arch with 'special files'
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:25:37 -0800

Hello,

I'm evaluating arch (tla) to see if it is suitable for my very
non-standard purpose.  I don't want to archive code, per se.  I want to
archive a linux distribution, ie: '/' and everything underneath it.  I
think the main problem is how to handle 'special' files such as
block/character devices, fifos, etc.  It uses tar internally, right,
which is certainly capable of managing devices files and such.

It looks like arch is not inherently capable of handling these special
kinds of files, but I thought I'd ask anyway:  Is there any way to use
arch to handle this?  Does anyone know of a (clean) workaround to handle
this?

-JE