Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [arch advocacy] Games from Within: litmus test for

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [arch advocacy] Games from Within: litmus test for revision control
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:16:55 +0200

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:59:06 -0600, Gustavo Córdova Avila wrote:
> Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> >* Magnus Therning:
> >

> >>Of course Arch doesn't suffer from the shortcoming, and it passes the
> >>"litmus test" with flying colours.
> >>

> >Really?  Does it correctly handle newly added files in renamed
> >directories?
> >

> Such a trivial test?
>
> It would really surprise me if you can find such a use-case which fails.

I have not tried, but I think this would not work out:

1) Have a project with 'foo' directory.
2) Branch it
3) On one branch rename the 'foo' directory to 'bar'
4) On another branch create file 'foo/baz'
5) Merge.

Now correct behaviour would be to place the 'baz' file in the renamed
directory, ie. as 'bar/baz'. But I am quite sure it will not do this.

The problem here is, that the indices only contain full path from root
to the files and their IDs, but not IDs of the parent directories.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>