Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cacherevs ignored by tla library-add -s

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cacherevs ignored by tla library-add -s
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:29:11 +1200

> > for large projects. I have to confess that multi-GB libraries for a
> > project that is ~50MB of untarred source seemed a but much.
>
> Unless you're using a non-sparse library, there's no reason why it take
> more than the size of the source tree.

Well... libraries default to being non-sparse. Add to that the
behaviour you described of preferring library revisions over cacherevs
as soon as there's an existing revision, and then libraries tend to
fill all available disk space ;)

In my case, I had base a and a couple of early revisions in the
(sparse) library, and it decided to ignore a cacherev in patch-550
rebuild ~600 revisions. I like the approach described for baz a lot
more

For libraries to be long-lived (and not rebuilt) when used with large
projects, library pruning strategies are needed, as with any
cache-like structure. I've learned to rm -fr parts of my library
regularly, but it's hardly a sanctioned practice.

cheers,

martin