Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch with 'special files'

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch with 'special files'
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:17:46 +0200

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 08:07 +0200, Robert Widhopf-Fenk wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 30, 2005 at 12:19:39, address@hidden wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > Heh. The metadata discussion again :-)
> >
> > > If you are asking for user-defined meta-data, how is this
> > > different from creating a user-defined text file listing the
> > > metadata that you are keeping track of [...]
> >
> > Well, it ain't different -- and it is. If Arch provides a
> > standardized repository for (generic) file metadata, it's gently
> > forcing applications to agree on one mechanism.
>
> And there would be no need to externally care for move and
> remove of the metatdata along with a file (tla mv, tla rm),
> which is a PITA unless you store the metadata within the
> file.
>
> Bye Robert

When talking about meta-data, you don't by any chance mean the file
attributes that are already available for ext2, ext3, reiserfs and other
filesystems. They seem pretty standard to me. The file tools
(cp,mv,etc.) already have support for those, but does arch have?

It would be great if arch could support those, it would make the
handling so much easier.

Cheers,

-- Ulf

P.S.: I don't have a good like right now, but maybe this line from my
fstab might help:
/dev/hda4 /home ext3 defaults,user_xattr 0 2