Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Question about branching a subset

From: Dick Knol
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Question about branching a subset
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 22:53:03 +0200

Op za, 02-04-2005 te 07:35 -0800, schreef Andrew Wilcox:
> So the first thing I'd try is to put everything into an archive, and
> see if it worked fast enough for me.

I will try this. However, I got some amazing performance difference
between ext3 and reiserFS. On another source-tree, much smaller than the
one I'm working with now. Here is the output:

address@hidden crm-arch]$ find -type f | wc -l
9824

On ext3 a time tla changes takes about 300 seconds (not only in the
first run). reiserfs does the same thing in 11 seconds the first time, 7
seconds the second time. I don't know how this relates to NTFS, because
at the company, we primary use windows (2K, 2003).

> * one that tracks code from your software vendor
> * one for all of your own developments

Sounds good

> * Have a branch off of the software vendor tree to track your
>   customizations

Is this a branch to merge the changes in the other arch-project?

> * CORE and the the site categories are simple subdirectories within
>   the second arch project
>
> * Have separate branches for testing and production

Yes, would perfectly work

> Yes, "working with little projects" is an excellent approach.  And you
> can have a branch for each and every little project.  Branches in arch
> are cheap and easy.  It costs nothing to have lots of them.

Well, here's a little problem. There are a lot of tasks that require
direct attention. Working ad-hoc requires you to switch often from
development project. It would cost a lot of diskspace if I need every
dev-project I'm working on checked out, so I have multiple working
copies.

Or is it possible to work on development branch A, do some changes,
switch to dev-branch B, do some changes, commit B, merge with test,
switch back to dev-branch A. Does A still have the modified files?

> I hope this helps,

It did, but I still have a few things I need to get clear. I will think
it through.

Kind regards,

--
Dick Knol <address@hidden>