Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch with 'special files'

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch with 'special files'
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:54:53 +0200

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:38:16PM +0200, Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:30:20 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > [XML inexact patching]
> >
> > In fact, I do think it's possible. But to be really useful [...]

> For XML the equivalence is well defined. Two XML documents are
> equivalent if and only if they parse to the same tree.

That's formally correct. But I was babbling about `useful´ (which is
a bit unfair, because it's fuzzy and I can take it to mean anything
after the fact ;-) I was trying to express my observation that XML
the data description language (as opposed to the text markup language)
is often used in instances where wildly different-looking representations
mean the same thing. This is not a problem per se (this happens with
C as well ;-), but the tools which mangle those XML files have a sick
tendency to output wildly different forms (as opposed, for example,
to a programmer working on a C file: if the order of some declarations
doesn't matter she won't touch that without a good reason, and then
it is transporting some semantics of its own).

Ugh. I don't know whether I've brought across my point.

Regards
-- tomás