[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] /Arch/ embraces `git'

From: Szilard Hajba
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] /Arch/ embraces `git'
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:59:50 +0200

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 04:04:00PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> I think that to a large extent you are seeing artifacts
> of the questionable trade-offs that (reports tell me) the
> ext* filesystems make.   With a different filesystem, the
> results would be very different.
>
> I'm imagining a blob database containing may revisions of the linux
> kernel.  It will contain millions of blobs.
>
> It's fine that some filesystems and some blob operations work fine
> on a directory with millions of files but what about other operations
> on the database?   I pity the poor program that has to `readdir' through
> millions of files.
>
> That said: I may add an optional flat-directory format to my library,
> just to avoid issues such as those you raise over the next couple
> years.
Hi!

Why don't you make the thing configurable and tunable by administrators?
You could put some parameters into the format description to the root
directory like this:

directory format = [4 4]

And an administrator with millions of files can change it to

directory format = [2 2 2 2 2 2 2]

I don't think the implementation of something like this would be difficult or
has any performance drawbacks.

$zilu

--
Szilard Hajba                   Symbion Ltd.
Phone:  (+36)20/203-31-56       H-9028 Gyor, Uj u. 38.