Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch revision namespace

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch revision namespace
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:15:07 -0700 (PDT)

   From: Jason McCarty <address@hidden>

   Tom Lord wrote:

   > Basically, the idea is that anyone can publish any commit they like by
   > specifying a name for the commit, the names of immediate ancestors,
   > and the contents of the tree --- the "snapshot" approach to revision
   > control.  Yes, I'm reversing my opinion of that approach from negative
   > to favorable.

You had three questions:

   [1] Can I ask why you've changed your mind?

   [2] I haven't seen any reason why
      this approach would be superior to treating changesets as the basic unit
      of version control,

   [3] or why it would be beneficial to layer arch on top
       of git (or are these two questions unrelated?).

They're easiest to answer in the opposite order.

[3]: Layering Arch on top of a `git' is mostly an unrelated
     question.  One related question is whether or not to
     compute tree and file checksums in exactly the same
     way as `git', for interop purposes -- I don't have
     a decision about that yet.

[2]: Storing snapshots doesn't preclude also storing
     changesets and doesn't preclude using changesets
     pretty much as Arch currently does -- the two
     approaches can be reconciled.

[1]: I used to think that a snapshotting system could not be
     written without sacrificing at least one of implementation
     simplicity and overall functionality.  (In other words,
     I only saw how to build a simple but functionaly poor
     snapshot-oriented system or how to build a functionaly
     rich but very complex system.)

     `git', `Mono', `Bazaar', and Aaron's work on revision-building
     technology and caching contain many good ideas and
     they have changed my mind about the feasability of a
     snapshot-oriented system that is both very simple and
     very powerful.