Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla "mv" across categories

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla "mv" across categories
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:08:18 +0200

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:51:33 +0200, Paolo Donadeo wrote:
> 1) I have complex projects to manage, with many independent
> sub-projects interacting each other. The idea is to use the
> "Multi-tree Projects" feature as explained by mr. Lord, but I found
> it's explanation quite obscure. Does exists some other documentation
> about these features? How is it simple to add/remove a project
> (category, in Arch lexicon, but please correct me if the case), or
> merge a trees in this multi tree scenario?

Adding categories is very easy. Removing them should never happen, but
moving them away into an archive of long forgotten history is not hard.

> 2) A typical scenario here is this: many developers writes code and,
> after a period of time, the code needs to be refactored. Tla of course
> has the "mv" and "move" commands, but can I move files (very
> important) and directories (not so important) across categories, in
> the multi tree scenario described before, preserving the history of
> changes?

No, you can't. History is for packages (category--branch--version), not
files. If you move a file to different package, it will disapear from
the point of view of the old one and appear from that of the new one.

The files that you will refactor between need to live in a single
package.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>