Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using win32 and unix questions

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Using win32 and unix questions
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:00:00 -0500

Matthew Dempsky wrote:

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 08:21 +0200, Ingo Buescher wrote:

John A Meinel wrote:

In general, tla never changes your line endings for you. So if you check
in a file with DOS (CRLF) endings, you get them back that way on all
platforms.

I'm not so sure that this is true - we had to explicitly change our line
encodings to unix style, because tla kept changing our src code to it
while checking it out (tla get). We recognized this, because when we
tried to check in a patch afterwards, the generated patches were huge
since every line was changed. We also checked the settings of our IDEs
(Eclipse and IntelliJ) - they were set to the windows encodings, so they
could'nt/shouldn't be responsible.

The only time tla ever touches your files directly is when it searches
for inline tags (and that's read-only).  You've only got diff, patch,
and your fake Unix environment to blame for mysteriously changing end
lines.  (There was a patch for tla to work around this by passing the
--binary option to diff and patch, but it seems it hasn't been included
in recent releases.)

When Tom re-branched 1.3.1 he didn't include it in his branch. It was
put back in my cygwin branch. The bigger issue, though, is that in
cygwin, you can mount your directories in 'textmode'. Which generally
does translation for you. I'm not sure exactly what it does, I just know
that I always make sure to mount in binary to avoid this effect.

But you are completely right, patch and tar are the only ones who write
anything to the filesystem.

John
=:->