Re: [Gnu-arch-users] baz make-archive existing-dir

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] baz make-archive existing-dir
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:19:58 +1000

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 18:51 -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Why does baz require that the destination directory of a make-archive
> not already exist? We would like to have all employees mirror their
> archives to a central location, but would prefer not to grant them write
> access to the parent directory.

both historical and useful reasons ;0. Its required this as long as I
can recall - all the way from larch on up. You wouldn't want to
intermingle an archive with (say) a

> It would be nice if we could do this without resorting
> to /export/archives/sjansen/archive/ or the like.

Well as pointed out in the prior thread you don't need to. That said, if
the admin is creating the archive location, why not seed the archive
too? All you need to write is the .archive-version and =meta-info/name
and =meta-info/mirror files.

That said, its very useful to have the parent of the archive writable :
it allows for change-archive, which needs to make temp archives and
bait-n-switch, to be able to work. I think the sticky bit is a fine
solution IMO. If you are worried about people fiddling with archives
mirrors - just enable signing, and set policy on merges to check.

Rob