Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:41:14 +0200

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 17:31 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Do you like this:
>
> $ baz rbrowse 'address@hidden/'
> $ baz rbrowse 'address@hidden/' | head
> address@hidden
>   authinfo--main--0
>     base-0 ... patch-2
>   bazaar--a-test-for-file-history--1.5
>     base-0 ... patch-2
>   bazaar--abrowse-deprecated--1.5
>     base-0 ... patch-1
>   bazaar--archive-mirror--1.4
>     base-0 ... patch-1
>   bazaar--archive-mirror--1.5

That use case looks intuitive enough.

> $ baz rbrowse 'address@hidden/bazaar'
> $ baz rbrowse 'address@hidden/bazaar.*' | head
> address@hidden
>   bazaar--a-test-for-file-history--1.5
>     base-0 ... patch-2
>   bazaar--abrowse-deprecated--1.5
>     base-0 ... patch-1
>   bazaar--archive-mirror--1.4
>     base-0 ... patch-1
>   bazaar--archive-mirror--1.5
>     base-0 ... patch-4
>   bazaar--archive-mirror-req--1.4
> $ baz rbrowse 'thelo.*/bazaar.*' | head
>

> address@hidden
>   bazaar--devo--1.0
>     base-0 ... patch-71
>   bazaar--devo--1.1
>     base-0 ... patch-122
>   bazaar--devo--1.2
>     base-0 ... patch-34
>   bazaar--devo--1.3
>     base-0 ... patch-76
>   bazaar--devo--1.4
> $

This one bothers me a bit for a couple of reasons:

      * The repetitive use of ".*"
      * The fact that your regexp does not _really_ means what it
        appears to mean, because "." still matches any single character.

At this point you could guess that I'm advocating the use of globs
instead of regexps by default.

I'm suggesting the switches

      * "-S, --string" interpret the argument as a fixed string
      * "-G, --glob" interpret the argument as a glob (default)
      * "-R, --regex" interpret the argument as a regular expression

But I'm not a big user of [ar]browse, I'm using it mainly to remind me
what are the branches present in a given archive.

Generally, I like the "no implicit wildcard" approach, even though it
seems a bit cumbersome at first, as I expect it to be compatible with
the future branch directory that will take the place of the a/c-b-v
directory when namespace is decoupled from storage and identification.

Thanks for all your good work.
--
                                                            -- ddaa