Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:45:31 +0000

On 03 Aug 2005 00:45:48 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> I'm now convinced we have to let abrowse in 1.5. It's currently
> obsoleted in the sense "not in the output of baz help, and displays a
> warning stating that it will be removed". Newcomers will learn to use
> browse, which is the way of the future, while long time users will
> almost not see the difference.

I disagree. I think many people here have archives in the non-flat format
(I have). From my point of view a new "browse" command:

  * removes the functionality that we extensively use in arch-magic
  * is less clean (should always append "--" to get predictable results)
  * is slower (50 seconds rbrowse vus 30 seconds abrowse for my archive;
    queries with limit may be even more slow, 30 sec vus 10 sec)

Please leave abrowse as-is during 2005 and do not add any warning to it.

I'd still prefer these problems to be solved at some point. I am also
fine with not removing a more functional and fast "abrowse" at all.

Regards,
Mikhael.