Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:41:57 -0400

Jan Hudec wrote:
> And what about Bazaar-NG and changesets? Will the merge in bazaar-ng store
> just the collapsed patch (as arch/bazaar do) or the constituents and
> a resolution (as git and mercurial do)?

When you merge a revision (let's call it 'A'), all available ancestors
of A are also stored.  Note that in bzr,

If A is a descendant of your last commit (let's call it B), we'll simply
mark A as the latest revision in your branch.  Otherwise, you'll have to
commit the changes in your working tree.  That commit will produce a
revision (let's call it 'C') with two ancestors: A and B.

This allows for convergence, since the person who created A can merge
your changes, and since C is a descendant of A, which is the last commit
in their branch, C will become their latest revision.

> I believe the later is better for further merges (you may need the
> constituents and may not be able to access other repositories) and, as
> a side-efect, provides all the important semantics of git and mercurial
> (well, mercurial has one additional feature of allowing multiple heads at any
> given time (which git also can do, but needs explicit names for them)).
>
> Note: I have tried to find the answer on the web (http://www.bazaar-ng.org/),

Recently, we've started putting the documentation on a wiki at
http://bazaar.canonical.com/Bzr, though you wouldn't find an answer to
this question there.  I'm just in the middle of implementing the stuff I
described here.

Aaron